I was only scheduled to do 1 25 minute set. Ended up doing two. I didn't get paid a dime for this entire trip. I get asked a lot why did it do it then?
I make very little money doing stand- up comedy. I calculate every dime i put into comedy and every time i put into it. Ranging from gas, food at the bar, time driving to a gig, and the gear I use. The ratio is ridiculous. It was at one point 500 to 1. That's right for every 500 dollars I put into comedy I'd have a yield of 1 dollar. I do it because I love comedy. The feeling you get when you step out on stage to people clapping; the sound of people laughing after you told them a joke you busted your ass writing, the overwhelming pride you take when someone comes up to you after a show and says you had me almost pee myself. That to me is a priceless feeling. Michigan was not a expense to me. Totaling a whooping 24 hours of driving, 200 dollars in gas and food and being almost completely sick due to sleep loss and driving. Would I do it again? I'd do it again tomorrow if I could. I'd drive to California to do it again. The connections I made from talking to other comics or bookers will help down the road. Whenever I do a show even more so an out of state show. 20% of the time I'm quiet or performing. The other 80% I am talking to comics about shows they do or where they perform, talking to the room runner about upcoming shows, or just forging friendships. People will have you back for two reasons. If you are funny but they will also book you if you are easy to work with and not a dick.
I'm going back to Laughfest in 2016. I already am booked. The people that ran the show put me on the second show not because I asked but because I came in shacked their hands, asked if i could help, had conversations about the festival and because they thought I was funny the first show. When I started comedy it was because I wanted to make people laugh. I had no friends. I promoted my first stand up ever and only my girlfriend at the time came along with her two friends. Now I go to other comedians show to watch them and in writing groups to help write jokes.
I crossed something off my bucket list. I made a woman laugh so hard she peed herself. I will remember that as being the best part of my year (even more so then when i saw my niece for the first time) Sorry Audea.